Monday, October 07, 2002

In a desperate need to get out of the house yesterday, I called up J and we went to see a movie. Remind me never, ever, never never ever go see a kid's movie as a matinee ever again. Ever. That said, the movie itself, Spirited Away, was great. Although it's rather immaterial to the enjoyment of the show, I'm still fuzzy on what makes a cartoon 'Anime' (other than hailing from Japan) as opposed to an ordinary animated film. I'm told that it's the thematic depths and characterization; but when I asked if a deep and well plotted movie made in the US would be Anime, the answer was a resounding 'no'. So, as far as I can tell, it's Anime because it's from Japan. And it just so happens that they make very good cartoons. Sorry - animated movies. Although, according to Dictionary.com, it's all about the sex and violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home